Monday, August 1, 2011

Christmas Quilt FINISHED

 I FINALLY finished my Christmas quilt!!  This one has certainly been a labor of love and so fun to work on.  This was a bee quilt made from blocks from my fellow beemates in the Christmas Fabric Bee.  I asked them each to make me two blocks that picture Christmas.  These gals DID NOT disapoint!!
 You will remember my last post where I showed off the blocks and my fabric choices.  I really wanted something that had lots of fun colors and wasn't just the traditional forest green and red.  I think that making holiday quilts with nontraditional colors makes them all the more fun.
 When putting the blocks together it was easy to see that I needed to do a little framing around random blocks or else it was just too much white and it all just looked BLAH.
 This quilt was mostly stippled but there are also some custom design quilting within many of the blocks.
 I just love this dresden... this block has some custom quilting in it.

 Cute little trees that have some jewels.  I added some other bling onto a few other blocks as well.

 I used a striped fabric (the same that was given out to my beemates) for the binding.  I cut it on the bias which was a learning experience because I have never done bias cut bindings before.  I like the effect of the swirling stripe as it looks like a candy cane to me!


 For the back I used a fun tree print from Michael Miller.  It really adds to the "fun" of this quilt.
I plan to hang this quilt in my entryway over the Christmas holidays.  It is beautiful and it looks like a work of art to me!!  Thank you to all the wonderful ladies in my bee who helped me make this quilt!

4 comments:

  1. Wow this looks fabulous! I love the backing fabric very cute :)

    Katy
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire that you got a Christmas quilt done and can enjoy it before Christmas...

    ReplyDelete