Saturday, April 30, 2011

I've been doing a lot of strippin!

 In a moment of EXTREME insanity, I joined the Tokyo Subway Map Swap.  It is a swap based on Oh Fransson's Toky Subway Map Quilt which is intricate and amazing and REALLY intimidating.  If I were to do it on my own, It would mean me sewing together 1600+ tiny squares one by one.  Yeah, that wasn't going to happen.  However, with this swap I was assigned one block and had to make 25 of these same blocks.  This meant I could do a lot of strip piecing and then cut them into pieced strips and sew those together.
 This task required a lot of cutting and sewing to start off with.
 A WHOLE lot of pinning.  Even with the pinning, I had some issues getting my seams to line up which required me to do a lot of ripping out of seams and in the end, had to accept that perfection was not in the books for me!
 This process also required to iron all those tiny seams OPEN.  I sometimes iron open... like when a lot of things come together in one spot or when I am trying to impress someone, but not when it takes as long to iron them open as this project did!  Plus it burns my fingers.  For serious.

 This particular block came out pretty straight-- I think this is the picture I posted on the group page- ha!
1 down, 24 to go.  I finally finished them all last week with the help of my mom.  I was so worried about going into labor before I finished these.  So, I plan on mailing them out today or early next week.  I am ready to be rid of them!  Hopefully putting the completed blocks together into the quilt top won't be as much of a drain.  Good thing I LOVE this quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment